[CentOS] the tag Obsoletes: in spec files

Wed Jun 1 09:37:15 UTC 2011
louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl <louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl>

> Hello Philippe,
>
> On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 16:27 +0200, Philippe Naudin wrote:
>> Here is what I have tried :
>> Provides:	tetex = %{version}
>> Obsoletes:	tetex < %{version}
>>
>> But it doesn't help, yum is ready to install texlive but doesn't
>> remove tetex.
>
> Not sure if the Obsoletes tag actually works as intended or expected,
> but these version tests are odd. Unless tetex and texlive use the same
> version numbers you are testing the wrong version number, and also why
> the '<'? Try this without the version test, just
>
> Provides:	tetex
> Obsoletes:	tetex
>
>From what I recall from the Fedora packaging guidelines, your need to
provide a tetex-a.b-c where c is one higher than the currently latest
existing version. This however works only as long as no new Tetex versions
appear. For a situation where you want to override a living package in the
distrubution I don't see how an obsoletes could reliably work. A conflict
sounds less tricky to me

Louis