[CentOS] Capturing ftp reponses

Thu Jun 2 19:23:20 UTC 2011
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I am writing a script to automatically connect via ftp from a
CentOS-5 host to one of our older (non-*nix OS) systems.  The only
common protocol that the remote host supports is ftp.  What I want
to do is to capture the initial response that comes back from that
host before the user credentials are passed and log this
information.

I cannot seem to hit upon the right set of redirects to make this
happen.  In my script I invoke ftp thus:

ftp -un "$TARGET_HOST"  << EOS  >> ${LOGGING_FILE} 2>&1
user $LOGON
dir
quit
EOS

When I connect to the host via ftp interactively from a session then
I see this:

Connected to host.domain.tld.
220 HP ARPA FTP Server [A0012H15] (C) Hewlett-Packard Co. 2000 [PASV
SUPPORT]
Remote system type is MPE/iX.

However, the first line that I find in the logging file is the
results of the dir command following the user command.  Can someone
tell me how I can capture and log the initial response to the ftp
connection?

Thanks,

Canada  L8E 3C3