[CentOS] How to format a USB drive?

Thu Jun 2 19:29:53 UTC 2011
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Lamar Owen wrote:

> From: Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] How to format a USB drive?
>
> On Thursday, June 02, 2011 01:55:35 PM Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Well, I haven't thought about it. I use both frequently. At one point I
>> thought about several partitions on the USB drive, so I could say no.
>
> But you can have multiple partitions on a USB flash drive,
> too.  They're not necessarily limited to one partition.

Of course you can. I formatted a 16GB USB stick with
different partitions.

One thing I noticed, was plugging in the USB drive with it
formatted as a default factory drive - Fat32 IIRC - made it
automount after plugging it into the USB port. Then I was
writing some data to it from Midnight Commander, and got
tons of 'Network Error' messages, as mc was trying to write
to the drive??

So I dumped the Fat32 partition, and reformatted it to
ext2 and ext3 partitions.

Anyone else noticed those sorts of errors writing to a USB
flash drive?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: