[CentOS] ClearOS rebuild

Fri Jun 3 01:10:08 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 6/2/11 7:03 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Ian Murray wrote:
>>
>>> This week's FLOSS Weekly interview is about ClearOS (audio/video at
>>> http://twit.tv/floss168). Apparently they have taken the CentOS developer's
>>> frequently given advice to go away and do it yourself and will have a
>>> 'ClearOS core' release that is their own rebuild from Red Hat sources that
>>> will be the base for the ClearOS enterprise distribution instead of relying
>>> on CentOS as they have before.
>>
>> Thanks for the link. It makes interesting listening because there are claims
>> that they tried to engage with the CentOS devs to offer support and
>> resourcing, but that relationship was not forthcoming... so they intend to
>> build (as I see it) a direct competitor distribution (i.e. "binary
>> compatible"). Also interestingly, apparently they have recruited help from the
>> SME/Contribs people, so I don't know if that means SME will die because it had
>> precious little resources to start with (and now those resources work for the
>> competition) or SME will still carry on and be rebased on Clear Core. Also
>> stated in the audio is that this was all a direct response to the
>> uncertainties around CentOS.
>>
>> So, it is interesting to see how this is all going to pan out.
> My look at the website shows only i386 versions - this is a long way away from a
> replacement or alternative to CentOS.

None of the 6.x based stuff is visible yet. ClearOS was more of a "modern" SME
server replacement  (where the services a home/small business needs come up
working and are managed with a simple web interface), but all their planned
updates were on hold waiting for a 6.x base distro.   They will call this part
ClearOS core, but I guess we'll have to wait to see how well they do at strict
upstream compatibility on that part.

> Worth watching as they do have some very positive indications of supporting and
> assisting the little guys (small business and home users) - they also have their
> foundation registered in New Zealand rather than the USA as the Kiwis have a
> more enlightened view on software patents and protections - particularly in
> regards to FOSS. (My totally unbiased view of course as a Kiwi ;-) ).

It will be at least interesting to see how it works out having something
resembling a commercially-oriented company behind it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com