[CentOS] hard disk install failure

Tue Jun 7 15:22:23 UTC 2011

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
<snip>
>>> Now I have to work out how to install Windows on the machine,
>>> but I daren't ask about that here ...
>>> I need it because my ISP claims to have tripled the speed
>>> of my supply, but says I have to run a Windows CD
>>> to setup the modem he has given me.
>>
>> ?? What kind of modem? Linux handles almost everything. Certainly, I
>> didn't need to install WinDoze to work with the DSL modem I got from
>> Verizon.
>
> The modem is a ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 WiFi modem/router (made in China).
> It works fine, but my speed is not 3 times what it was before!
> My ISP (Eircom) claims I have to run the configuration utility
> on the Windows CD to get "up to speed".
> I doubt if this is true, but I guess I ought to try it.

It is *not* true. The only thing that I can imagine that software doing is
setting it up for Windows, and Windows only.

Right, I just looked it up, and I see it's an ADSL modem. Look at your IP
address, and I'll bet you're 192.168.0.x, or 192.168.1.x. Whatever it is,
try pinging 192.168.[0 or 1].1. Whichever it is, pull up your browser, and
point it to that IP, and you should be at the modem's web interface, and
you can go from there.

         mark