[CentOS] hard disk install failure

Tue Jun 7 17:04:11 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Les Mikesell wrote:

>> The machine is running CentOS-5.6 .
>> The modem is running fine, but my speed has not been improved threefold,
>> as promised.
>> In fact the speed is identical to the previous modem, as far as I can
>> tell.
>
> Do you know what kind of change this was supposed to be?

No. I was rung one day by a lady at my ISP (Eircom),
who told me I had been chosen as a recipient of their new "Ultimate" system,
which would increase my speed from 5Mb/s to 14Mb/s,
at no extra cost!
Apparently this was not available to any old customer;
I had been specially picked out for the privilege.
I can't think of any reason why I should be picked out,
except that I always pay my bills.

(I have been with them for ever, and remember being told by them long ago
that scientists had proved it was physically impossible
for traffic down a telephone line to exceed 300b/s .)

> If you are
> running DSL with PPOE it might have been a registry tweak for windows to
> reduce the MTU.  On Centos you can just put MTU= in your ifcfg-eth? file
> with the value you want (I've seen 1492 suggested for this).

It is PPPoE, I think.
I'll try changing the MTU sometime, and see if it has any effect.
Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net