[CentOS] text-mode system and /media

Tue Jun 7 19:42:01 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 6/7/2011 2:27 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> I like the /media/$disk-label convention; no matter how many disks I may have, removeable media will come up properly.

I do a lot of disk image cloning and swapping disks around among
machines.  Does it handle getting duplicates in the same machine
gracefully - or at least better than it used to when they first came up
with partition labels and used them in fstab?

> And even though this is a typical server box with a typically anemic ATI Rage XL, GUI performance, even with Firefox, isn't bad at all.  (Supermicro dual Xeon board with multiple high-speed 64-bit PCI-X busses and slots; haven't found a good low-profile 133MHz PCI-X VGA board yet....).

I almost never sit at the console of a linux box - or at least the one
where the programs are running, so I'm much more interested in
freenx/NX, or remote X performance.  Or the ability of the GUI programs
to work sensibly when running in a remote window.  And I don't think it
is sensible if I start firefox remotely with 'ssh -Y' and it tells a
currently running instance on a different display to open a new window
there.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com