[CentOS] mouse scroll-wheel side-click configuration?

Tue Jun 7 22:51:24 UTC 2011
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 11:45:02PM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> > Still googling, no joy so far (though I'm not giving up yet).
> >
> > Can anyone point me to a resource that may help me figure out how to
> > make the side-clicks of the scroll wheel on a logitech mouse do something
> > useful?
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> Can you elaborate in what setting? GNOME? CentOS 5.x? Quoting original
> post would be nice. I have almost 3680 mails from several months, but
> haven't seen this one.
>
> Ljubomir

Hi Ljubomir! This was the original posting. I was just saying that
I'm not asking here merely because I'm too lazy to look on my own...

I've got this logitech v220 notebook mouse, and the scroll wheel
can be clicked left or right as well as rotated or clicked by
pressing down.

"normal" usage (i.e., left click, right click, middle click, and
rotation of scroll wheel) works fine.

Using xev I don't see anything reported for the side-click of the scroll
wheel, so it may be that without some action by a driver, that the
side-clicks aren't enabled. I suspect that Logitech's windoze driver
tweaks the mouse in some way that "turns on" the additional actions of
pressing the wheel to the left or right.

The package lists LInux (2.6 kernel) as a supported OS, but of course
they provide only windows/mac drivers for it, and the web site explicitly
lists Linux as not supported. Talk about mixed messages.

It's not a big deal, was just wondering if there was a way to recognize
those clicks, in case there was something useful to be done with them.

I've tried tweaking xorg.conf to increase number of buttons and changing
z-axis from "4 5" to "6 7" but that stops the scroll wheel from working
at all, so I put it back.

Fred
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked