[CentOS] Cloning LVM

Wed Jun 8 13:25:36 UTC 2011
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Jun 8, 2011, at 8:59 AM, Christopher Hearn <Christopher.Hearn at cchmc.org> wrote:

> I have a workstation with two separate drives set up with LVM.  I'm buying an LSI RAID controller to set up mirrored drives.  I'd like to clone the existing drives over to the new mirrored drives somehow, but not sure the best way to do it.  The original drives & their respective replacements are all identical in size (250GB + 1TB).  I thought about using Clonezilla but wasn't sure how LVM would handle the /dev devices changing.  Any suggestions?

You can add the new mirror to the existing VG and pvmove the LVs over to it.

If this is your boot drive you'll need to create an ext3 /boot partition and then an LVM partition with the rest of the space and then pvcreate the LVM partition before adding it to the VG.

You can rsync the boot partitions.

If you can create your /boot partition on sector 2048 and make sure it is in megabytes and not cylinders that would make sure that it is aligned with both RAID chunks and memory pages.

-Ross