[CentOS] Changing from RHEL to CentOS

Wed Jun 8 15:03:14 UTC 2011
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>

Nicolas Ross wrote:
>>> By looking at the man page, distro-sync wouldn't re-install a package
>>> with
>>> the same version. For exemple, on my rhel boxes, I have
>>> tzdata-2011g-1.el6.noarch installed, and on my sl6's one, I have
>>> tzdata-2011g-1.el6.noarch. It's the same exact version number. So the
>>> installed package wouldn't be re-installed.
>>>
>>> You would need to do yum reinstall \* to properly re-install the package
>>> from the new repo (sl6 or c6 for instance).
>> Are there many packages with identical names that you'd *care* about
>> reinstalling?  tzdata for example I assuming is functionally identical (if
>> not
>> pretty much bit-for-bit).  Given it's got the same NEVRA, it's not going
>> get updated any differently either.
>
> tzdata was just an exemple, it was the first one I tought that was updated
> frequently...
>
> For my part, no I didn't care and left those packages that were already
> installed alone.

Only changed packages (not binary compatible) are in CentOS marked with
.centos. so those should be replaced without question. For others,
running "yum reinstall \*" is advised but not necessary. You are allowed
to run RHEL but are not allowed updates, so using base of RHEL and
updates from CentOS should generally be OK.

Ljubomir