[CentOS] Possible to use multiple disk to bypass I/O wait?

Thu Jun 9 18:51:28 UTC 2011
Thomas Harold <thomas-lists at nybeta.com>

On 6/9/2011 1:26 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 06/09/11 2:24 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>> Alternatively, if I mdraid mirror the existing disk, would md be smart
>> enough to read using the other disk while the first's tied up with the
>> first process?
>
> that woudl be my first choice, and yes, queued read IO could be
> satisfied by either mirror, hence they'd have double the read performance.
>
> next step would be a raid 1+0 with yet more disks.

mdadm is good, but you'll never get double the read performance.  Even
on our 3-way mirrors (RAID 1, 3 active disks), we don't come close to
twice the performance gain.

RAID 1+0 with 4/6/8 spindles is the best way to ensure that you get
better performance.

Adding RAM to the server so that you have a larger read buffer might
also be an option.