[CentOS] Vim scripting - cursor motion

Sat Jun 11 15:56:50 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 6/11/11 4:03 AM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:

> So this was my first-ever vim script. So far I am not convinced about
> vim scripting (ok, I was warned, too)... Test cycle is slow (modify
> script, quit the realfile, open realfile again with vim -s script).
> Verbal error messages would be useful. There is supposed to be
> "integrated debugger". I would like to know more.

I'd still recommend learning to do it in perl as being likely faster and more
generally useful, especially if the sql db you mentioned can be accessed
directly. The regeps will be approximately the same and it is easy to find perl
example code for DBI operations and manipulating files.  And unlike working in
shell/awk/editors, you very seldom find an operation that perl can't do itself
so it often ends up simpler than the shell wrapper you need for other tools.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com