[CentOS] What is someone trying to do?

Sun Jun 12 20:59:50 UTC 2011
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011, Mike Williams wrote:

> Do you edit rewrite rules for every access that would
> otherwise be a 404 and change it to a 301?  If so, what do
> you redirect them to, and why?  Sounds like a lot of work.

This was covered by me in a blog post some time ago, as to my
approach:
 	 http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2010/06/reading-logs-part-3-run-your-updates.html

The rationale for having a redirect (offsite, back to the
proper's localhost) is to quell noise from the probing, that
would otherwise land in Logwatch reports

The effort for maintaining the rules is minor compared to that
of wading through logwatch reports full of cruft, multiplied
by however many webhosts one reads log files for.  As I read a
couple hundred logwatch reports each morning, a significant
win for me ...

Also, the same probing scripts seem to wash around and after a
while, one has most of them identified, and in the redirect
file

To get folks started, I've pushed my local packaging of rules
'outside' under a GPLv3+ license in SRPM form at:
 	ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/mirror/ORC/deepsix/

-- Russ herrold