[CentOS] Compiling PHP and MySQL

Mon Jun 13 18:57:35 UTC 2011
Dvorkin, Asya <dvorkias at umdnj.edu>

On Jun 13, 2011, at 2:32 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 01:47:31PM -0400, Dvorkin, Asya wrote:

I am not sure if I want to use it in a production environment....

Please trim unnecessary material from your responses.  Thank you.

IUS is the community repo for RackSpace; this is the same repo and repo
components that they use for their own customers in their hosting
configurations.  This repo is in use by _many_ people, not only
RackSpace customers but by the general EL public, including myself.

At this stage of the game I would not consider using any other source
for PHP kit, including the mess that is known as php53 that CentOS
ships as an optional package (note: problems originate upstream and not
with the CentOS project proper).  As far as that in c5-testing... that
php-5.2 release should, quite frankly, be yanked as it's ridiculously
out of date and full of known security issues.

PHP 5.2.16 also has _known_ security issues; you are doing a disservice to
your client if you do not point this fact out to them and kindly tell
them that 5.2.17 is mandatory.  Contrary to popular belief clients are
not always right.

John,

Thank you very much for an excellent response.  I called our developer and he agreed to go with 5.2.17.

I will be using IUS repo to install it..

Thank you!
Asya