[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Tue Jun 14 17:19:51 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:

>> <snip>

>>> I don't get the comparisons. Do you have some specific bad experience
>>
>> I guess you don't.
>
> I didn't mean I don't understand the problem you describe.  I just don't
> understand why you blame anyone but the developers in your scenario.

I'm an admin. I'm a contractor. I have *ZERO* control over what they
write, or in what languages. I am *required* to make sure that the
environment, that is under my control, doesn't break what they're doing.
That leads back to "I want a solid, stable platform".
<snip>
>> Nope - the O/S and all the packages with it *are* the environment that I
>> refer to.
>
> How many of them actually affect a java app (which if done right will be
> equally at home across linux/mac/windows)?  And you couldn't seriously
> have considered using a CentOS packaged java at all until very recently,
> so I don't understand thinking that CentOS would have been a solution
> for this.

Um, sorry, mostly word is to use openjdk. We have one or two projects that
have managed to force using Sun Java, though.
<snip>
>> I'll stick with CentOS...oh, that's right, I should only make comments
>> like that on a CentOS list....
>
> OK, but what was that about things like ruby and java? (Java being more
> or less OK now...).  If you don't use/need software from this decade,
> then maybe it isn't a big issue for you either way.

"This decade"? Oh, come *on* Mike, be real. Just because the languages
they use are changing continually doesn't mean that a *language* compiler
or interpreter a couple-three years old shouldn't work.

          mark "ought to get back to coding some C (k&r)"