[CentOS] OT: high static in server room

Tue Jun 14 19:42:31 UTC 2011
Kevin Thorpe <kevin.thorpe at pibenchmark.com>

>> I know that, you know that, but the powers that be insist on carpet on the
>> raised floor tiles.
>
> Has anyone presented them with the problems with carpeting in the server
> room? Doesn't have to be confrontational, just "we're having a problem
> with static discharges in the server room, and one of the sources is the
> carpeting. We may have to have folks wearing static-discharge anklets, or
> put metal strips in to ground everything. <offhandedly>This wouldn't be an
> issue if we didn't have carpeting....</offhandedly> Can we look at
> solutions for this problem, that can cause shorts and servers crashing?"

Sorry, 'insisted'. Previous job and the proper computer room chock full of big
iron had to look spotless. I spent a good hour each shift polishing the boxen.
Pointless when everything was air conditioned to death but we worked there
behind a big picture window for the bigwigs to ogle at.

Now all our gear is in a datacentre 250 miles away and as long as it works
it's not my problem. If it stops working it's still not my problem because
they suddenly owe us a load of dosh. That room is all cold hard metal panels
and steel mesh. Uncomfortable for people but then nobody has to touch the
stuff until it breaks - and that's incredibly rare now.