[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Wed Jun 15 11:25:16 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Most of the stuff that you have to use 3rd party repos to get
> on CentOS is in the stock ubuntu repositories in usably recent versions.

I've found 99% of the things I need on a CentOS
(which I only use on home servers)
is in the epel repository if it is not in the CentOS repository.

Am I alone in regarding epel as more or less a part of CentOS?
Does it have a rival in this role?

What do you need that is not in CentOS + epel?

Surprisingly, all 4 server machines I have seem to support CentOS,
or RHEL which I take is the same for this purpose.
None of them mention any other kind of Linux.
I was surprised to find that the HP MicroServer
only supports CentOS/RHEL or WHS, which I've never seen in use.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net