[CentOS] OT: high static in server room

Wed Jun 15 15:32:05 UTC 2011

Kevin Thorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:13 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Lamar Owen wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Dust isn't as bad of an issue as you might think, but stains are.  And
>>> I do the vacuuming of the data center spaces myself, with a dedicated
>>> vac with HEPA filtration.  Takes less than half an hour for the critical
>>> spaces, and gives me a good reason to inspect everything.
>> <snip>
>> Ever heard the old, old m'frame (I think) story, of the guy who needed
>> to do a backup, and the tape failed, and they had to go to an older one.
>> The next few days, he was trying to find out why, and discovered all of
>> the tapes on the bottom row of the tape (reel) rack were bad. Stayed late
>> one day, working on it... and watched as the cleaner came in, and ran
>> the floor cleaner right up to the rack....
>
> And the apocryphal mystery why the servers rebooted at 6:30 every evening.
> Having said that we once had a cleaner unplug a router to plug a kettle
> in, but that's rather more likely because it was tucked away in a corner
> than unplugging a whole computer. Was back in '85 as well so your average
> cleaner had no clue what a computer was.
<snip>
Oh, that's ok: a friend of mine (who posts here occasionally) got to blow
up at someone(s) in his wife's office, where he comes in as a consultant:
someone had plugged a kettle? microwave? (I forget) into the orange box
that was labelled "computer equipment only" (Hope you don't mind me
telling your story, DaveI.)

        mark