[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Wed Jun 15 22:12:31 UTC 2011
Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Ron Blizzard wrote:

>> Okay, thanks. Good to know. I forget what "kludging" process I had to
>> go through to get Mint to boot into text, I think I disabled the X
>> server somehow.  But even when I got to text mode,  the Nouveau driver
>> had loaded, which is why I eventually had to blacklist it before
>> installing the proprietary nVidia driver.
>
> Or edit /etc/inittab to boot to runlevel 3, or just init 3 from the
> command line (which you can reach via <ctrl><alt>-f1) or I think you can
> append 3 to the kernel line....

That was the first thing I tried (coming from the CentOS world). I
don't think there is any such thing as "runlevel 3" in Ubuntu/Mint.
They use a different model. But the "text" entry did the job -- glad
to know that (thanks). (I wonder why no one on the Ubuntu/Mint forums
pointed me to that.) As for <cntr>-<alt>-f1, that gets me to the CLI,
but, by that point, the Xorg has already been loaded. So it didn't
help with installing the proprietary nVidia driver. As a matter of
fact, even when I got it to log into non-graphics mode (doing whatever
it was that I did), the Nouveau driver was still loaded -- which is
why it had to be blacklisted in Grub.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6