[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Wed Jun 15 23:15:26 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 6/15/2011 5:56 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 05:46:20PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> I've seen vmware disk emulation ->  LVM ->  partitions run very, very
>> slowly.  Didn't diagnose it beyond thinking "if it hurts, don't do it",
>> though.  And I don't remember if it was a sparse disk or not, but it
>> probably was.  Could have been an issue in the way the growing drive
>> space is allocated on the physical side.
>
> Trainwreck and should not be done in production environments; if this is
> indeed the cause of "1-hour" installs alternatives should be found as
> that is simply too pathetic for mere words.

Agreed, but testing something on vmware is a likely first step toward
production and bad performance on the first look can warp your opinions.
  I've mostly avoided LVM since seeing that (and, I think, early
problems with duplicate volume names when moving disks around) but it
could easily have been the physical seek pattern created when the space
was allocated on use in the underlying file.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com