[CentOS] Odd issue with custom udev rule at boot

Thu Jun 16 04:25:26 UTC 2011
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

On 6/14/11, James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca> wrote:
> The rules are parsed, applied and the permissions are then correct but why
> is it not doing so at boot?  The file in questions I've called
> /etc/udev/rules.d/49-udev-override.rules and it contains
>
> KERNEL=="tty[A-Z]*",            NAME="%k", GROUP="rcl", MODE="0660",
> OPTIONS="last_rule"
>
> the default 50-udev.rules file has been left untouched.  SELinux is in
> permissive mode and so I can't find a reason why it is happening.  Anyone
> have any ideas?

I had similar problems with udev rules when adding a 2nd NIC and
needed to override the assignments which switched the original eth0 to
eth1.

For some reason, despite all the info that says the over-ride filename
should be alphanumerically "smaller", it only works if the file is
alphanumerically "larger". Which kind of make sense to me since a
later rule should override an earlier one.

So instead of 49-, try 51- instead :D