[CentOS] CUPS not rendering documents via Samba

Wed Jun 22 15:02:09 UTC 2011
Benjamin Hackl <b.hackl at focusmr.com>

Dear Kevin,

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:16:54 +0100
Kevin Thorpe <kevin.thorpe at pibenchmark.com> wrote:

> Hi guys, any CUPS / Samba experts out there?
>
> The CUPS printing guide is a horrendous maze of options. I've got
> nearly there but I've got
> one thing wrong and I don't know where to look.

you have to do the following:

In CUPS https://localhost:631/ setup your printers and set the printer
driver for each printer to local raw printer

In /etc/samba/smb.conf make sure you have the following settings

[main]
printing = cups

# printer share for your windows drivers
[print$]
comment = printer drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/somewhere
read only = yes
guest ok = no
write list = @somegroup, john

mkdir /var/lib/samba/somewhere/{COLOR,IA64,W32ALPHA,W32MIPS,W32PPC,W32X86,WIN40,x64}

# set permissions
chown -R john:somegroup /var/lib/samba/somewhere
chmod 775 /var/lib/samba/somewhere

or if you use ACL
setfacl --recursive -m g:somegroup:rwx /var/lib/samba/somewhere
etc.

Grant the SePrintOperatorPrivilege privilege

net rpc rights grant "<domain|hostname\<user|group>" \
SePrintOperatorPrivilege -U <hostname>/root

In windows open the print management tool and install the device drivers
there.

HTH, Brgds

--
Freundliche Gruesse/Best Regards