[CentOS] inconsistent DNS results - ping vs dig vs nslookup

Thu Jun 23 10:07:23 UTC 2011
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Giles Coochey wrote:

> Yes, I'm sure it will depend on the implementation, the trailing dot was
> somewhat an educated guess from previous ISC BIND & dig tool use. :-)
> As for both the A and AAAA record, I think you will have that until IPv4
> is fully deprecated by IPv6 and no longer exists, unless, of course, you
> want to use non IPv6 aware software (or non-IPv4 aware software... shudder
> - it will happen!).

I think software still could make a better stab at things now.  You're doing
AAAA lookups on a system without any IPv6 interfaces.  It's not like it's
useful information to have if it succeeds...

jh