[CentOS] Shared object packaging in rpm

Sat Jun 25 09:04:54 UTC 2011
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 25/06/11 02:15, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I whipped up a quick spec to package Zenoss' wmi client and noticed it creates a
> libasync_wmi_lib.so.0 and libasync_wmi_lib.so.0.0.1 that their python script would
> otherwise copy during its install routine (obviously I wrote a native rpm section for
> installation).
>
> Anyone know the naming convention associated with so's when they get compiled,
> what is the .0.1 extra file used for, they are slightly different.
>
> Thanks,
> jlc

Some reading for you:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-shobj/

As Ljubomir said, libasync_wmi_lib.so.0 will be a symlink to
libasync_wmi_lib.so.0.0.1. You can use objdump to find the soname(s) for
shared objects, e.g:

objdump -p /path/to/libasync_wmi_lib.so.0.0.1 | grep SONAME

or just run ldconfig against them and observe what symlinks are created.