[CentOS] how do determine last file system on disk?

Mon Jun 27 20:52:52 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 06/27/11 1:40 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Sunday, June 26, 2011 06:53:48 AM Robert Heller wrote:
>> It is also possible that the drives got 'wiped' somehow, eg they were
>> on the bottom shelf when the cleaning crew came by with the floor waxing
>> machine...
> That would wipe more than the data; it would also wipe the embedded servo information and render the drive completely useless until someone with a servowriter for that drive rescues them..... and even then, since many drives load portions of their firmware from the disk surfaces (from reserved tracks that cannot normally be overwritten), the drive may be bricked.

I might be wrong about this, but I was led to believe that the servo
data is written with special heads onto the platters before the disks
are even assembled.

If you somehow managed to magnetically bulk erase the drive it would
indeed be bricked, it wouldn't pass the initial spinnup and seek
calibration tests, and would simply report 'NOT READY' and/or 'FATAL
ERROR'.   if the magnetic erasure was partial and just weakened a small
part of the disk, you'd get servo errors attempting to go anywhere near
that part of the disk.