[CentOS] yum update -> [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out

Wed Jun 29 19:10:28 UTC 2011
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 06/29/2011 02:06 PM Giovanni Tirloni wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM, ken <gebser at mousecar.com
> <mailto:gebser at mousecar.com>> wrote:
>
>     Trying to update a second CentOS box, I'm getting this error repeatedly:
>
>     [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
>
>     I'm getting this on every mirror and have gone through the list of
>     mirrors more than a dozen times.
>
>     Oddly, the RPMs I'm trying to upgrade I upgraded just yesterday without
>     a problem on another machine on the same LAN with no problems
>     whatsoever.  I can ping mirrors fine.
>
>     There were a spate of these errors back in 2006.  The fix for many was
>     to add this line to yum.conf:
>
>     timeout=300
>
>     So I did that on the machine where yum is having the problem, but the
>     same errors are returned.
>

> I would start by trying to telnet to port 80 on these mirrors, see if it
> can establish a connection, if not, who's blocking it, iptables, etc.
>

> --
> Giovanni Tirloni

Giovanni,

Good thought.  But that machine can reach port 80 on the mirrors...
nothing blocking it.

So it would appear that the problem is with yum itself... as installed
on the problem machine.  But it's been working fine for years and
there's been no changes to yum.conf.

I've upped the debug level (to 4).  I'll run that awhile and see what I get.

Thanks again.