[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Wed Jun 29 20:19:11 UTC 2011
Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

Am 29.06.2011 um 22:15 schrieb Emmanuel Noobadmin:

> On 6/30/11, Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's called "out of band management".
>> Have dial-in access to IPMI/iLO interfaces or just an APC remote
>> controlled power-switch to power-off the server.
>
> I don't want to reboot the server everytime something like that
> happens. I'll expect pretty nasty problems will develop after a few
> dozen unclean shutdowns like that.
>
> Would ILO work on a server that's unresponsive due to heavy load?

ILO used to be a separate board with a separate NIC and a separate CPU
etc.
Nowadays, it's just an additional chip on the board.

It works until the power-supply is fried.

> The
> actual network access isn't a problem so dial up isn't necessary. The
> other problem is the server in question probably doesn't have ILO
> features on the mainboard.

If it's a server that actually deserves that name, it should have IPMI
on board.
You can buy add-on PCI-cards for OOB-management, though.