[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Wed Jun 29 20:32:54 UTC 2011
Giovanni Tirloni <gtirloni at sysdroid.com>

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin at gmail.com>wrote:

> I was having problems with the same server locking up to the point I
> can't even get in via SSH. I've already used HTB/TC to reserve
> bandwidth for my SSH port but the problem now isn't an attack on the
> bandwidth. So I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to ensure that
> SSH is given cpu and i/o priority.
>
> However, so far reading seems to imply that it's probably not going to
> help if the issue is i/o related and/or it would require escalating
> SSH to such levels (above paging/filesystem processes) that makes it a
> really bad idea.
>
> Since I'm not the only person who face problems trying to remotely
> access a locked up server, surely somebody must had come up with a
> solution that didn't involve somebody/something hitting the power
> button?

I would approach this issue from another perspective: who's locking up the
server (as in eating all resources) and how to stop/constrain it. You can
try to renice the sshd process and see what happens. I'm not entirely sure
what 'locked up' means in this context.

--
Giovanni Tirloni