[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Wed Jun 29 21:11:41 UTC 2011
Giovanni Tirloni <gtirloni at sysdroid.com>

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin
<centos.admin at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 6/30/11, Giovanni Tirloni <gtirloni at sysdroid.com> wrote:
> > I would approach this issue from another perspective: who's locking up
> the
> > server (as in eating all resources) and how to stop/constrain it. You can
> > try to renice the sshd process and see what happens. I'm not entirely
> sure
> > what 'locked up' means in this context.
>
> Server's unresponsive to the external world. It isn't dead, on two
> occasions, when it happened at times like Sunday and 1am in the night,
> I could afford to wait it out and see that it eventually does recover
> from whatever it was.
>
> It's almost definitely related to disk i/o due to the VM guest
> fighting over the disks where their virtual disk-files are. However,
> the hard part is figuring out the exact factors, I know CPU isn't an
> issue having set up scripts to log top output when load goes above 5.

Linux includes I/O in how it calculates the load average so you're not
measuring CPU alone.

What does top show?
Any error messages in /var/log during the time the server is unresponsive?
Is network responsive? Latency normal too?

--
Giovanni Tirloni