[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Wed Jun 29 21:16:49 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 6/29/2011 4:04 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 6/30/11, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The seriously on-the-cheap approach is to run a few virtual servers on
>> hardware slightly better than one of the individual servers would need.
>
> Actually THAT is the fundamental problem ;)
> The physical server is frankly much more powerful than the two guest
> running on it. I have the same applications + public web/email running
> on old dual core machines with less memory than the guests.
>
> Nothing that's being done is out of ordinary except something ordinary
> coupled with two virtual guest doing it at the same thing on the same
> physical disks causes everything to go haywire. But because "it" is
> otherwise normal, I haven't figured out a way to pinpoint what is it
> after the previous issue was solved.

OK, but without knowing the cause, you already know the cure.   Make the
virtual servers not share physical disks - they will always want a
single head to be in different places at the same time.  And there is
also probably some ugly stuff about how using files for virtual disk
images and perhaps LVM on both the real and virtual side makes your disk
blocks misaligned. Fixing that might help too.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com