[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Wed Jun 29 21:30:33 UTC 2011
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:

> On 6/30/11, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:
>> I actually relied for a while on the last choice. I had a remotely
>> accessible root shell that never logged out. When things got
>> sluggish, I was able to /bin/kill to my heart's content. It wasn't
>> a pretty solution, but it kept me running until I was able to solve
>> the problem properly.
>
> Would this work without the OOB hardware? E.g. if I leave a detached
> screen'd SSH session open from another server, then ionice + nice
> that shell on the problem server?

I wouldn't rely on that setup.

In my case, the problem server was connected to a Digi console server
via its serial port. On another (non-problematic server), I opened a
screen session and connected to the console on the problem server. I
had to adjust some timeouts here and there to ensure an eternal
console. :-)