[CentOS] mounting a CentOS 5.5-based NFS partitions from a Mac OS X machine

Wed Jun 29 22:29:55 UTC 2011
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 05:30:02PM -0400, Boris Epstein wrote:
> Thanks. I am only doing NFS over TCP and still no dice. Any special
> options you use either on the client or on the server side?

Two things to be aware of on a Mac
1) default mounts are from a non-privileged port.  So your exports on
   CentOS needs to have 'insecure' as an option
   eg
    /directory mac_client(no_root_squash,async,insecure)

2) The MacOS X automounter doesn't play nice with all GUI applications.  eg
   I had my mp3 collection exported and automounted on the Mac; iTunes played
   it fine.  Until I left it idle and the filesystem unmounted.  Then when
   I told iTunes to play it couldn't find the files.  'cos iTunes maintains
   a HFS+ path and it couldn't resolve the top of the path 'cos the file
   system was unmounted so it never caused the automounter to wake up.

So static mounts and "insecure" and it works.

For some values of; with 10.5 if I tried to use DVD Player to play VOB
files then the Mac would reliably kernel crash after a few minutes.
Heheheheh.

--

rgds
Stephen