[CentOS] Canon MX870

Boris Epstein borepstein at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 19:32:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM, David Sommerseth <dazo at users.sourceforge.net
> wrote:

> On 01/03/11 19:40, Boris Epstein wrote:
> > Hello listmates,
> >
> > I am considering getting this multi-functional printer
> (printer/scanner/fax):
> >

> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6052773&CatId=2709
> > <
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6052773&CatId=2709
> >

> > Has anybody used it under Linux? What was that experience like?
>
> After having had a Canon MP600 MFP device myself for some time, I would not
> consider Canon at all.  Driver support in Linux is far from optimal.  You
> got TurboPrint which kind of solves it, but on some platforms even
> TurboPrint dies when printing too big documents.
>
> Canon tried to do some open source driver stuff for the Asian market, and
> trying to rebuild that was a nightmare on 64 bit, because they basically
> just supported 32 bit.  And these drivers have not been updated for quite
> some time.
>
> I also don't see MX870 in the supported list in the "Open Printing" project
> [1].  So I wouldn't bet on good support out-of-the-box.  A couple of the MX
> printers are even classified as paper weights.
>
> Personally, I'm getting rid of my Canon soon, and I'm going for a HP
> printer.  It might not be the optimal vendor in regards to price.  Print
> quality is usually good, though.  But they do support their devices with
> open source drivers, which I do embrace.  Another brand I would consider is
> Epson.
>
> Sorry about the rant, but my Canon user experience in Linux is far from
> good.  The MP600 is a great device, hardware wise (except lacking IPv6
> support, even though the Canon support claims it has that).  But I do
> expect decent Linux support nowadays, or else I'll call it crap.  So no
> more Canon for me.  At least until Canon does a real open source effort.
>

> kind regards,
>
> David Sommerseth
>

> [1] <http://www.openprinting.org/printers>

David,

Thanks, we just had an HP and yes, while it is better compatible with Linux,
the hardware was just aweful. It broke down finally so we are looking for a
replacement and it looks like all the Canon PIXMA printers get much praise
for being reliable, never jamming paper and never failing on the multi-page
scans. Those were problems our HP Office Pro L7590 was doing all the time.

Boris.