[CentOS] Centos 6

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Wed Mar 2 00:56:09 UTC 2011

On 3/1/2011 7:14 PM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, JD wrote:
>
>> OK, as a measuring yardstick: approximately how many
>> months after RHEL5's release date was Centos 5 released?
>> That might give people an approximate idea.
>> Currently, I have no RHEL installed. I just joined this list to
>> enquire about RHEL 6.
> > From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentOS
>
>   	RHEL4:    2005-02-14
>   	CentOS-4: 2005-03-09	23 days
>
>   	RHEL5:    2007-03-14
>   	CentOS-5: 2007-04-12	29 days
>
>   	RHEL6:    2010-11-10
>   	CentOS-6: TBD		112+ days
>
> Priority is CentOS 5.6, which is what people are actually using. It is
> very likely a RHEL 6.1 Beta is out before CentOS-6.0. Early RHEL 6.1 Beta
> access has been offered by Red Hat to RHCE's already.

I find it most interesting that upstream was also 'very' late with these
last releases. I'm sorry I don't have time to do a history lookup on
them, but it seems like 6 was a year or more overdue and it seems like
5.6 was also very late in appearing? That said, from what I think I'm
hearing, 5.6 will have user selectable versions of some software... PHP
for one? I've never known of a release with this type of situation. As
PHP seems to have an effect on a lot of things, it seems that there must
be some sort of fork in the dependency routine based on this choice.

Anyway, I do wonder if this complexity has made the team's work more
difficult. In other words, created a few new hurdles, maybe some of the
reasons for why upstream was so late with their releases as well? But we
can't say upstream was late, because with upstream, "it is ready when
it's ready".

Dag, I assume you are packaging for both 5.6 and 6. Are you seeing any
new complexities with your work?

John Hinton