[CentOS] virtualization on the desktop a myth, or a reality?

Phil Savoie psavoie1783 at rogers.com
Thu Mar 3 12:10:26 UTC 2011

On 03/03/2011 06:43 AM, Kevin K wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2011, at 6:38 AM, Always Learning wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 19:18 -0800, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
>>
>> My dual-booting, actually tri-booting, with Vista (ugh!), Centos
>> (brilliant) and Fedora 14 (not keen and a bit seriously buggy) allows me
>> in Linux to access and change the file space content used by the other
>> two operating systems.  Surely that constitutes simultaneous access to
>> storage?
>>

> If you are tri-booting, how are you accessing the file systems of the other OS's "at the same time"?  Don't you have to reboot to change OS's?

Kevin,

When booting a system with multiple operating systems, it is true that
only one operating system may be in use at one time, however, those
other  operating systems are installed on the disk in partitions.  These
partitions may be mounted like any other filesystem, hence the ability
to use them while a single instance of an operating system is running.
It's all done via the /etc/fstab and through mount options.

Kind regards,

Phil