[CentOS] log monitoring and reporting software

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 13:46:42 UTC 2011

On 3/3/11 3:12 AM, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:
> Hi folks,
> In the company where i work, we are implementing a security standard. A part of
> this is a log monitoring and reporting software. There are a few requirements,
> that the software must fulfil:
> - It must be capable of collecting logs from different devices (Linux machines,
> network equipment, ...).
> - it must be capable of sending alarms on security events
> - it has to generate daily (weekly, monthly) reports
> - it's a plus if it is easy configurable
> - it has to have a good support or at least a good community if it is an
> opensource product
>
> So what are you using or at least some recommendations would be nice. An
> opensource product would be nice, but it's not required.
>
> I know i could google it, but it's difficult to decide for a product just from
> online and marketing presentations. It would be nice to get some real world
> experience.

OpenNMS is a good snmp monitoring framework with notification/reporting.  It
doesn't 'collect' logs but you can configure it to receive syslog from other
machines and there are a variety of other ways you can pick up data.  I'm not
sure I'd call it easy to configure, but there are examples on their wiki.
http://www.opennms.org

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com