[CentOS] Gnu Screen - terminal issues

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 03:24:21 UTC 2011

On 3/3/11 7:48 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:

> It's not the ports.  It's the graphical presentation.  Oh, and I've run
> NX.

I do like the way gnome collapses the icons in the task bar when you have enough
of them - and pops up the list so you can see it.  It makes it easy to find the
terminal session connected to some particular remote host.

> I'm really just fine with terminal windows and SSH-forwarded apps if
> those are necessary.

But why do you need screen, then?

> I don't keep enough state running remotely to make it worth my time to
> have another level of nested desktop cruft to deal with.  Ties up too
> much real-estate for no win.  As I've noted several times: I've already
> got SSH local/remote.

I don't think of it as a remote desktop - it's 'my' desktop.  It just goes where
I go with everything still running.

> For NX I'd have to install clients and servers,
> and X libraries.  For something I really don't want or need in the first
> place.

That makes it sound complicated.  It's really just having what you have on your
current desktop running in a freenx session and connecting from a client
wherever you are.

> While I could see the value for someone /not/ running a native Linux
> desktop environment.  I'm /not/ trying to change your mind about
> anything, maybe just open it up a tad to see my PoV.

Having cut/paste access between applications on different OS's is a plus, but
the real benefit is always having access to the same desktop that almost never
stops.  And no need to run something like screen.   I do run a separate session
in a remote office as well for better connectivity to machines in that location
and a few others for special purposes, but I prefer it even for the main way I
access a local machine.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com