[CentOS] Load balancing...

Todd slackmoehrle.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 17:34:56 UTC 2011

Brian,

Thanks for all of the great words here. I appreciate the detail in your
reply.

OK, so what's good?  For my requirements, HAProxy is excellent.  It
> handled sticky sessions well, performs monitoring of each host, allows
> dynamic adding/removing of servers, as well as maintenance modes.
> It's very easy to install and configure.  I'm using is as the backend
> to apache that is acting as an SSL termination point.  It's been very
> high performing for us and I know a lot of big sites use it as well.
> The only question I would have with it is handling of video, as we
> only use it for typical web traffic, just high bandwidth stuff like
> that.
>
> Also, make sure any load balancer you have is redundant and has some
> kind of failover, using something like pacemaker, heartbeat, etc...

Can you outline a bit specs for building a homemade box to run HAProxy? The
HAProxy site is very extensive, but I did not see ideal specs at a quick
glance. I will read in depth this weekend.

Minimal specs and they excellent specs if you have thoughts.. I really don't
have an idea how intensive a task like this is. Nobody needs to log into the
box, simply use the box for this purpose.

-Jason