[CentOS] CentOS and Marvell SAS/SATA drivers

Chuck Munro chuckm at seafoam.net
Sat Mar 5 19:01:02 UTC 2011

On 03/05/2011 09:00 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> >  The 3ware are excellent...
> And Promise, historically, is*not*.

Yes, I've had problems with Promise cards in the past, but haven't
bought any for a long time.  They seem to be moving upscale these days.

Regarding the Marvell drivers, I had good luck with the 'sata_mv' driver
in Scientific Linux 6 just yesterday, running a pair of 4-port PCIe-x4
Tempo 'Sonnet' controller cards.  So it appears someone has fixed that
particular driver.  I've decided to stick with those cards rather than
re-install the Supermicro/Marvell SAS/SATA 8-port controllers, which use
the 'mvsas' driver that I had problems with on the RHEL-6 evaluation distro.

So far, SL-6 has performed very well, all RAID-6 arrays re-synced
properly, and running concurrent forced fscks on eight arrays was very
fast (because the ext4 filesystems were still empty :-) ).

I think I'll stick with SL-6 as the VM host OS, but will use CentOS for
the guest VMs.  CentOS-5.x will do fine for now, and I'll have the
luxury of upgrading guest OSs to CentOS-6 as the opportunity arises.

Chuck