[CentOS] CentOS and Marvell SAS/SATA drivers

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 16:21:29 UTC 2011

> I blame Adaptec for the dominance of IDE.  Seriously.
>
> If Adaptec A) hadn't had the lionshare of the SCSI mindset in the PC
> business back in the 90s, and B) hadn't made so much overpriced buggy
> crap, we'd all be using SCSI today.

Yes and No. I remember playing with it back in the 90's and what drove
me away from SCSI was the complexity of the standard. Yes Adaptec made
it harder then it had to be but IDE, for all it's failings, was easier
to use. You jumper'd one disk as master and one as slave and it pretty
much just worked. SCSI on the other hand, at least in
DOS/Win3/Win95/98, was a complex process involving TSR's and fiddling
with jumpers on the disks & HBA. I remember my father spent six hours
trying to get a simple SCSI scanner to work.

By the time RedHat 6 came out, when I made my first real foray into
Linux, SCSI support was a lot better. I also took the time to sit down
with a sysadmin I knew and download his knowledge about SCSI which
he'd learned over the decades.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie