[CentOS] Which file system to use for a USB backup

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 00:07:51 UTC 2011

On 3/9/2011 5:51 PM, Todd Cary wrote:

> A lot of the data needs to be moved in time to servers in other
> organizations (e.g. Rotary) or the data may be used as a
> repository for someone with just a notebook computer who would
> plug the HD into the computer.  This is not my main data backup;
> I use rsync for that.
> http://www.toddcary.com/rotary/ is one example of data that needs
> to be shared.
>
> Can rsync take ext4 data and copy it to a fat32 drive?

Sure, it will copy the files, but you'll lose the attributes (owner,
ctime, etc.) that fat32 doesn't store.  If you need that, you could
write tar archives up to the 4gb size limit.  But, unless you need to
work with non-networked computers, I'd just rsync to some common network
location that also exported via samba.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com