[CentOS] Server hangs on CentOS 5.5

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 09:04:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, compdoc wrote:

> +36C and +39C are likely your cpu and motherboard temps. You have to look at
> the temps in the cmos and match them.
>
> The +87C is likely just a miss-reading by lm_sensors. Anything running that
> hot won't be stable.

In testing nVidia graphics cards to destruction (not entirely deliberately) we
found that anything up to about 110C was likely to work fine, anything past
that was likely to cause visual corruption.  Anything past 125C was pretty
much guaranteed to cause permanent damage.

But you're right, I doubt that's correct, and lm_sensors is prone to reporting
duff information.  AMD list 70C as the max recommended for that chip.  In the
past it'd also depend a lot on where the temperature probe was (so varied a
lot motherboard by motherboard), but they're on package now aren't they?

jh