[CentOS] Creating the symbolic links in the /boot and /boot/grub/

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Thu Mar 10 15:19:10 UTC 2011

Well, I have the disks in hand - all 4, but there is the
overriding level of apprehension.  Is there a reference to what I
should do *if* I cannot reboot that I should read?

Also, after reading the responses to my query about using FAT32
to store data, I decided to follow the suggestions to use Samba
to copy the data that needs to be shared with others to my
Windows connected NTFS external.  So, I am in the process of
doing that first even though I have an ext3 backup of the same data.

Preparing to jump as I look for my spare parachute....

Todd

On 3/10/2011 2:15 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I live out with the cows, so I am using DSL to
>> download the latest - it will take awhile.  It has been awhile
>> since I downloaded the four disks, however I assume disk 1
>> contains all that I need to do a "rescue".
> Yes that's correct, you need to download only disk 1.
>
>> Once I get that down, I will use torrent to get all four disks.
>>
>> Hey, guys, many thanks.  Any of you live in the SF Bay Area?
>> Love to treat you to a beer.
> Thanks, but it may be a bit difficult. Just let us know if you have been
> able to boot successfully.
>
> Simon
>
>> Todd

>>> OK, the file listing of /boot from your last mail and now grub.conf,
>>> they
>>> look quite good. grub.conf has been updated by the kernel update, and
>>> also
>>> a new initrd-2.6.9-100.EL.img has been created, so that doesn't look
>>> bad.
>>>
>>> The only thing I'm not really sure is if grub is installed correctly
>>> now.
>>> Maybe you have to run grub-install again to be sure but I'm just not so
>>> sure about grubs internals. Maybe someone can tell you more about this.
>>>
>>> As someone else mentioned, it's a very good idea to have a current
>>> CentOS
>>> 4.8 disk at hand so you could boot into rescue mode with 'linux rescue'