[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 does not recognise SAS drives with LSI 1068E Controller

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Mar 10 18:19:00 UTC 2011

On 03/10/11 8:35 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> RedShift wrote on Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:05:02 +0100:
>
>> That controller doesn't really support RAID, what you're getting is
>> commonly called FakeRAID
> If you are referring to the 1068E, that is completely wrong.

They do have basic hardware raid, with an embedded control processor,
but they don't have any battery back write-back cache, which negates any
real advantages of hardware raid.  I always configure those as simple
SAS controllers and use the OS native software raid (mdraid mirroring in
the case of Linux).  I also almost never use any raid level above raid1
or 10 (mirror or stripe/mirror).