[CentOS] Creating the symbolic links in the /boot and /boot/grub/

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 02:41:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:
>> Well, I have the disks in hand - all 4, but there is the
>> overriding level of apprehension.  Is there a reference to what I
>> should do *if* I cannot reboot that I should read?
>
> As I said before, you may need to run grub-install, but I don't know for
> sure. And then, you have to know where to install grub, and I don't know
> where you have installed it. In fact I don't know how we could know

This information is normally stored, commented out, in /boot/grub/grub.conf.

> because it really depends on how your BIOS boots the box. It can be that
> it's installed into the MBR of /dev/hdc, then you should be able to
> install it using 'grub-install /dev/hdc'. But, since the disk is named
> /dev/hdc, it's most likely that there is also /dev/hda and /dev/hdb, and
> then it's also likely that grub has been installed into the MBR of
> /dev/hda. Who knows?

Don't assume this. If the PATA cable is plugged into a second PATA
controller port, and nothing or a CD drive on the first controller
port, it would explain how he wound up with /dev/hdc has his hard
drive.

> That said, check disk 1 by putting it into another computer, and chose
> 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt. Then it will boot using a root
> filesystem in ram, and configure network if you want and then tries to
> find any CentOS installation in the disks, and mount them if it finds one.
> Maybe it wont find one but it should find it on your server. Then it will
> mount it as something like /mnt/sysimage. You can then 'chroot
> /mnt/sysimage' and fix things.

Yeah, I love the live CD's for this as well.