[CentOS] Alternatives to apache for php based servers: Nginx

Mark Foster mark at foster.cc
Fri Mar 11 21:38:56 UTC 2011

On 03/11/2011 10:54 AM, robert mena wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone here using Nginx as alternative to apache in conjunction to php
> scripts?
>
> Care to share thoughts and caveats?
>
> I am reading that it is a good alternative but do not know the real life
> limitations, diferences to apache, which repo to fetch etc.

First off let me say that nginx is awesome. If you are running a LAMP
stack and cannot use fastcgi with apache then you can put nginx in front
of apache to handle static content requests. Result is dramatic decrease
in memory footprint since you can reduce the number of concurrent apache
procs. Nginx uses a more efficient request handling so you can serve
thousands of clients in under 100MB. I think you can also use fastcgi
with nginx. I haven't done it.

Apache can achieve similar efficiencies with the alternate mpm models
i.e. not prefork.
--
Mark D. Foster <mark at foster.cc>
http://mark.foster.cc/