[CentOS] Race condition with mdadm at boot [still mystifying]

Chuck Munro chuckm at seafoam.net
Sat Mar 12 05:28:06 UTC 2011

On 03/11/2011 09:00 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 3/10/11 9:25 PM, Chuck Munro wrote:
>
>> >  However, on close examination of dmesg, I found something very
>> >  interesting.  There were missing 'bind<sd??>' statements for one or the
>> >  other hot spare drive (or sometimes both).  These drives are connected
>> >  to the last PHYs in each SATA controller ... in other words they are the
>> >  last devices probed by the driver for a particular controller.  It would
>> >  appear that the drivers are bailing out before managing to enumerate all
>> >  of the partitions on the last drive in a group, and missing partitions
>> >  occur quite randomly.
>> >
>> >  So it may or may not be a timing issue between the WD Caviar Black
>> >  drives and both the LSI and Marvell SAS/SATA controller chips.
> I've seen some weirdness in powering up 6 or more SATA drives but never
> completely pinned down whether it was the controller, drive cage, or particular
> drives causing the problem.  But I think my symptom was completely failing to
> detect some drives when certain combinations of disks were installed although
> each would work individually.  Do you have any options about whether they power
> up immediately or wait until accessed?

That's a good question, one I have experimented with.  I don't have any
choice as to when the drives are spun up (only on bootup), but I did try
a controller card which pre-spun and checked the identification of the
drives before handing off to the BIOS for bootup.  That didn't help.

On the particular Supermicro motherboard I'm using, there is a very long
delay (10 or 15 sec) between power-on and initiation of visible BIOS
activity, so all disk drives have ample time to spin up and stabilize.
The drives' SMART data shows that the average spin-up time is well
within the BIOS startup delay.  Each drive activity indicator shows that
they are always probed by the kernel's scsi scan process.

I have since tried a couple of other tricks I found by Googling around
... setting the kernel parameters 'rootdelay=xx' and
'scsi_mod.scan=sync'.  These had no effect on the problem.  For some
unfathomable reason, the last drives in each group of drives have one or
more random partitions missing, with no 'bind' statement in dmesg.
Other partitions on those drives are bound normally.  This has been
tested with at least two known-good replacement drives, with the same
random results.  On two occasions today, everything worked perfectly,
but that was unusual.

A friend of mine suggested an ugly hack - connect two 'dummy' unused old
SATA drives to the last port of each controller (I'm using only 6 of 8
on each).  I wonder if one of those $15 IDE-to-SATA converters would do
the job (without a drive attached)?  Foolish thought  :-/

Chuck