[CentOS] Virtual Machine Manager Doesn't see vmx flag

David McGuffey

davidmcguffey at verizon.net
Tue Mar 15 11:54:54 UTC 2011

Finished installing CentOS 5.5 x86_64 on a new Dell tower workstation
that has a quad core Intel processor and 8 GB of ram.  BIOS has hardware
virtualization support enabled. /proc/cpuinfo shows that all four cores
have the vmx flag present.

I applied a lot of the National Security Agency guide for securing Red
Hat Linux 5, testing the key applications I need as I went.  At the end
of the process I bring up VMM and it claims that the hardware doesn't
support full virtualization.

I'm going to go back through the NSA guide today looking for settings
that might have an impact. My goal is to find and back out 1 or more
settings rather than start from scratch with a full reload.

Any ideas where I should focus my efforts?

Dave M