[CentOS] Watching a directory

Jason Slack-Moehrle

slackmoehrle.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 21:06:22 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I am thinking about an idea, but it requires that I be able to watch several
directories for files that are added, deleted or maybe changed.

Let start with adding files. What tools are available for me to watch a
directory. In an example, if a file is added to a directory I want to run a
shell script that will do some conversation on the file to produce a second
copy.

I have the shell scripting down, I am not sure how to watch, realize change
and kick off the script with the parameters of the directory and what was
added.

Would anyone have thoughts?

-Jason