[CentOS] respawning apache on centos

Dave Stevens

geek at uniserve.com
Thu Mar 17 20:02:56 UTC 2011

Hi

I have a centos instance on a host where uname -a shows:

Linux cl28810.com 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5.028stab079.2PAE #1 SMP Fri Dec 17
19:34:22 MSK 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Periodically my ssh access and http access slow dramatically and I get out of
memory when trying to do rudimentary stuff like ls. I've been advised by tech
support to try service httpd restart. This works. But the first thing that
happens after the command is issued is that the load goes up to about 15 then
slowly declines to a more typical figure, in the range feom .1 to 1.3, which
is fine. It takes several minutes before the site is really usable. I now have
22 apache instances out of 66 total processes, which seems excessive.

One site hosted, running drupal 7, 1.5G RAM lots of disk spece, two cores,
Xeon based host. I don't know if this is an apache issue or CentOS related or
what.

Ideas? Debugging I can do?

Dave

--

“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a
cross.”

- Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here, 1935